Townswomen’s Guilds is one of the UK’s leading women’s organisations, providing fun, friendship and a forum for social change since 1929. Over 31,000 women nationwide have joined Townswomen to enjoy national events, informative conferences, organised travel packages and to learn new skills.
Lichfield branch was established in 1959 By Mrs Trickett (who owned the chemist’s shop). Jane Dayus-Hinch joined in 1985 but after Jane left to work in Canada, a registered membership of 76 members (30 of whom were active) declined and the numbers dropped off, and sadly the Staffordshire Federation closed it in 2006.
A reinvigorated group of former members including Jane and Caroline Kerr have re-formed the Lichfield Guild. Jane told the Gazette: “Townswomen’s Guild did a lot of good work for charity and it was a very sociable place where mothers would take their daughters from the age of 14. The activities were varied and fun with walking, theatre-going, a choir (with a great following), holidays and trips out. Townswomen’s Guild has always been a happy place to meet and that is the atmosphere we are looking to create at our meetings, which have already begun. Anyone who was a former member, or knows anyone who was a member please alert them. We have rediscovered the old chain, gavel and cloth used in the Lichfield group and it’s business as usual!”
Former members of the original Townswomen’s Guild as well as new members are welcome to come and enjoy an evening on the second Monday of each month from August 10 at 7.30pm in St Mary’s in the Market Square. Contact Chair Jane Dayus-Hinch on 07702 967919 for more information.